½ cup tart or sour cherries (You can sub any dried fruit if you’d like)
1T tart cherry juice (You can also use red food coloring)
¼ cup almond/peanut butter
½ cup water
½ cup dark chocolate chips for coating (you can also coat with 2T cocoa powder)
1) Mix 1st 3 ingredients in large mixing bowl.
2) Place water, cherry juice and cherries in blender or food processor and puree.
3) Add cherry puree and nut butter to the bowl.
4) Mix all ingredients really well. Elbow grease required to ensure the nut butter is spread throughout.
5) Place the cherry goodness in an 8x8 dish lined with wax paper and put in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
6) Remove and cut into 1 inch squares.
7) Melt chocolate chips in microwave. (Or just roll in cocoa powder)
8) With a toothpick, dip each square into the chocolate and then place back on the wax paper.
9) Once every square is covered, place back in freezer to set.
Nutrition: based on 24 bites. 1 per serving. (Not including dark chocolate coating) Calories: 49 / Protein: 3.5 / Carbs: 4.5 / Fat: 2
PROTEIN LEMON BARS
Makes 8 bars
For the crust:
¼ cup coconut oil
1 cup oats
½ tsp. Arrowroot powder (or xanthan gum)
For the Filling:
5 egg whites, at room temperature
1 cup Truvia
1 Tbsp. grated lemon zest (4-6 lemons)
½ cup lemon juice
4 scoops Beverly International Vanilla Ultimate Muscle Protein
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2) Line an 8x8-inch baking pan with parchment paper, so the paper rises up the sides. (This will make removing the bars much easier, as you can lift them out once they are cooled.)
3) For the crust, blend the coconut oil and Truvia. Add the oats & salt, and combine on a low setting. Mix just until it is combined. Dump the dough into your 8X8-inch pan, and using hands dusted with gluten-free flour, press the dough evenly over the bottom of the pan, building up a 1/2-inch edge on all sides.
4) Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until very lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool on wire rack. Leave the oven on.
5) While the crust is baking, you can prepare the filling. For the filling, whisk together the egg whites, Truvia, lemon juice, and UMP. Pour over your pre-baked crust and bake for 30-35 minutes, until the filling is set. Let cool to room temperature.
6) To remove from pan, use the parchment paper to lift the bars out to a cutting board. Using a sifter or wire sieve, dust the top of the bars with Truvia and lemon zest. Cut into bars, and serve.